Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Best/Worst Movies of 2009?

The Razzie and Oscar nominations were both revealed today, and I really couldn't agree more on about 99% of them.

Razzies

Worst Picture:
All About Steve
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Land of the Lost
Old Dogs
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Worst Actor:
Jonas Brothers, Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience
Will Ferrell, Land of the Lost
Steve Martin, Pink Panther 2
Eddie Murphy, Imagine That
John Travolta, Old Dogs

Worst Actress:
Beyoncé, Obsessed
Sandra Bullock, All About Steve
Miley Cyrus, Hannah Montana: The Movie
Megan Fox, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Jennifer’s Body
Sarah Jessica Parker, Did You Hear About the Morgans?

Most of these I have not seen, because they were obviously terrible (seriously, did we need a GI Joe movie?!?) but regarding the ones I have seen.... they're dead on. As mentioned here, All About Steve is pretty awful. Around the same time I watched All About Steve I also started to watch "Land of the Lost" and it was so terrible I didn't even finish it. There aren't many movies that hold that honor for me. I can usually stick with something til the end, but not this one!!


Oscars

Best Picture:
Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Best Actor/Actress:
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
George Clooney, Up in the Air
Colin Firth, A Single Man
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabourey Sidibe, Precious
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

I have seen most of the Best Picture nominees (always a goal for me) and for the ones I've seen I agree EXCEPT for Avatar. I have been told I gave a mixed review about it, which I completely agree with, because I left the theater with mixed feelings. The special effects were cool. But the rest was terrible! I'd give it a 5 out of 10 because the good was really good, but the bad was really bad. This is not a Best Picture movie to me, and I might scream at the TV if it wins (which I doubt it will.)

The rest of the nominations are pretty dead on - see my posts about The Blind Side , The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, Precious, and Up In The Air to see just exactly what I thought.

So to achieve my goal I still need to see: District 9, An Education, A Serious Man, Crazy Heart, A Single Man, Invictus, and The Last Station. Stay tuned for my thoughts on those!

No comments:

Post a Comment