Friday, July 23, 2010

Am I a movie critic?

I don't really think of myself as a movie critic. I just think of myself as a person who loves movies and has seen a million of them. I don't sit there and scrutinize every single detail about how the movie was directed, filmed, acted, edited, etc. Overall, there are probably only 5 things that make me decide if I liked a movie or not:

1. Was I invested in the story? Did I wonder how it would end? (for example, Coco Before Chanel got a NO)
2. Did I feel anything for the characters? Did I like, love, hate, sympathize, get annoyed, etc with them? (for example: 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days got a YES)
3. Was the plot sloppy, boring, or cheesy? (for example, Amelia got a YES)
4. Did I like the acting? Whether it was good or not, did I like how the actors handled their characters? (for example: Avatar got a NO)
5. Was I wondering when it was gonna end? (for example: Inglorious Basterds got a NO!)

I always get a little embarrassed when my friends tell others about my movie blog, because I know I'm no expert. I have an obviously very basic scoring system for how I rate movies. But, because I'm no expert, I feel like my opinion can help someone decide whether or not a movie is worth their time. I don't really know why I feel the need to post about this whole topic, but I just want to make sure we're (meaning me and the 4 people who read my blog) on the same page. :)

1 comment:

  1. When I say me and the four people who read my blog I mean me and the four people...you have 7 followers! You are in the big time now!

    ReplyDelete