Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Golden Globes Reaction

So, the Golden Globes were on Sunday night... and I only watched about an hour of it on TV (while I was kickin butt on the elliptical machine at the gym!)  There were a few awkward moments I saw while watching, like: Robert DeNiro's speech for the Cecil B. DeMille Award was... awkward, his jokes were just not funny; and at one point the camera was on Brangelina, and she awkwardly gazed at him for longer than normal, it was weird!  Besides all that, I have some opinions about the winners...

Best Motion Picture - Drama: The Social Network
Totally deserved.  It was a really great movie with refreshing young actors and a sharp script.  The other 4 nominees were Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception and The King's Speech (which I have not yet seen) which are pretty tough competition.  But, this result does not surprise me because the Golden Globes typically award movies and actors that may get overlooked at the Oscars.  Either way, this movie was great and this award sits well with me.

Best Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical: The Kids Are All Right
I don't really agree with this one, but the competition in this category wasn't too tough - the other 4 nominees being Alice in Wonderland (blech), Burlesque (haven't seen it), RED, and The Tourist (haven't seen it either.)  Based on these nominees, I guess they got it right.  RED was really fun but not exactly award-worthy, I hated Alice in Wonderland, and the other 2 didn't really do much at the box office.  Regardless, I just did not like The Kids Are All Right.  It should have been named "The Kids Will Be Totally Screwed Up" after all the chaos their mothers put them through.

Best Actor/Actress:
Actress, Drama: Natalie Portman, Black Swan... YES
Actor, Drama: Colin Firth, The King's Speech... haven't seen it
Actress, Comedy: Annette Bening. The Kids Are All Right... YES
Actor, Comedy: Paul Giamatti, Barney's Version... haven't seen it
Actress, Supporting Role: Melissa Leo, The Fighter... YES
Actor, Supporting Role: Christian Bale, The Fighter... YESSSSSSS

Now I CAN'T WAIT for the Academy Award nominations to come out on January 25!

1 comment:

  1. There are a few times in my life where I want to shoot my TV. Not that I really even watch TV all that much. But anytime, any news cast, especially those about severe weather, or a President interupts regular scheduled programming. The news should wait until the commercials and as for the President you should have a button on your remote that gives you the option to listen or not.

    Another is when some awards show comes on where I am forced to watch PBS cooking. Ditto that on Beauty pagents.

    But I'm glad you enjoyed it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete