Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Jackie's Top 5 Of All Time

This took me quite awhile to decide... lots of thought when into this list.  In no particular order, they are:

The Princess Bride -

Anyone who's ever heard me talk about movies knows that this is always at the top of my list.  It's got SO many great quotes: "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, it would be a pity to damage yours" and "Please consider me, as an alternative to suicide?"  It's brilliantly funny, sweetly romantic, and action packed... 3 qualities that are hard to achieve on their own, let alone all together in one movie.  So, if you ever want to watch this with me, my answer will always be "As you wish."







Inglourious Basterds -

I know, I was as surprised as you are that I loved this movie so much.  I'm not really a huge Tarantino fan (although I did see him on a plane one time and told him I was... solely based on THIS movie), but this movie is absolutely brilliant.  I was totally blown away by the cinematography, the music score, the beautiful scenery, the intensely long and drawn-out scenes and so much more.  It was 3 hours long and I literally didn't want it to end.  The script was sharp, the actors were perfect, the story was interesting... all in all it's just a great film.  Because it's Tarantino it got a little bloody, but those scenes were short and few and far between, so don't let that scare you away!!


Mary Poppins -

Oh how I love Mary Poppins.  I remember sitting on the living room floor watching this as a kid, glued to the TV, afraid to get up because I didn't want to miss anything.  Fast forward 20+ years, and I still just love this movie.  Julie Andrews is so pretty with the voice of an angel, the little kids are adorable, Bert is funny, and the adventures were straight out of a kid's imagination.  A carousel who's horses come to life?  Awesome!  A chalk painting that you can jump into?  Awesome!  This movie dazzled me as a kid and will always hold a special place in my heart.


Cold Mountain  -

This story is so beautiful, and so sad, that it literally stayed with me for days the first time I saw it.  It's set in the Civil War era, and it's about love and perseverence through troubled times.  Nicole Kidman and Jude Law are terrific as the long lost loves, and Renee Zellwegger has never been better as the loner who tags along with Nicole's character.  In some ways, the film is incredibly under-stated and very simple.  But the story is so moving that you are hanging onto every word.  Overall, it's a haunting movie with beautiful actors, a beautiful story, and a beautiful message.



 Ferris Bueller's Day Off -

Who doesn't love Ferris Bueller?  I just had to include this on my list, because it's timeless!  I saw it for the first time in high school, when the movie was at least 10 years old, and I totally loved it!  Even the teenagers these days like it... who can deny Ferris?  It's funny and endearing and FUN.  Plus, director John Hughes was seriously a genius.  He made perfect high school movies - including The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, and Pretty in Pink.  But out of all those, Ferris will always be my favorite.  Best line:  "A man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile." 

Save Ferris!!



No comments:

Post a Comment